I’m totally switching it up this month, because I’m a lazy ass bitch, because all of my boxes came so late. I thought it would be fun to compare my MARCH boxes in one gigantic post. I must be a serious slut, because I love each of these subscription services. So don’t ask me to choose. Orgies are more my style, anyways.
Ipsy. The bitch who started it all. The one who introduced me to the “crack” of my beauty addiction – subscription boxes. Ipsy is only $10 USD a month!! Of course, us Canadians know, anything that cheap is too good to be true. And such is true with Ipsy. Add another $5 USD for shipping to Canada (FREE shipping for all US customers). The current exchange rate is not so nice; that “$10” bag, will be more like $20 CAD. It is still worth every penny nickel in my opinion, but something to keep in mind when signing up.
Ipsy sends 5 beauty products, every month, in a themed makeup bag. You complete a beauty profile to help customize the Glam Bags to your preferences. They send a nice mix of brands (high end and drugstore), sizes (deluxe and full size), and products (makeup, skin care, and hair care). You get points for reviews and referrals and you can use them to redeem for extra products (which I did this month and last month. I’m now point poor!!). I love this option because it allows you the opportunity to try a product you might not have received in your monthly bag.
1. NYX Butter Lipstick – I received this in the shade “Hunk“. It is a beautiful, vibrant fushcia purple. Very bright and perfect for spring. I love bold lippies and am very excited to add this to my collection, this is a unique shade, unlike anything else I own. I love the formula of the Butter Lipsticks. They are smooth and buttery. The color is super pigmented and doesn’t crease, settle, or become patchy. My lips always feel moisturized after a full day of wearing this lipstick. The lipstick lasts a surprising amount of time (all morning and through coffee. I reapplied after lunch as I like the look of fresh lips). The color eventually fades to a nice stain if you don’t want to reapply.
2. Pūr~lisse beauty Pūr~Delicate Gentle Soymilk Cleanser & Makeup Remover – I love love love the Pūr~lisse SPF daily moisturizer I have from a previous ipsy bag, so this will make a great travel duo. The cleanser is gentle and milky. It doesn’t really lather but leaves behind silky smooth (clean) skin.
3. VINTAGE by Jessica Liebeskind Illuminating Face Highlighter – This Highlighter is EVERYTHING. No really, it is amazing!!! It looks so bright and pink in the package, but it applies to a soft shimmering pink highlight. Such a gorgeous color, that I really can’t explain, you need to try this product in person to truly be apart of the beautiful person’s club, to truly understand. Most highlights that I already own are champagne toned, but this pink highlight kicks all my champagne’s asses. I can see this little pink square becoming a staple in my beauty routine.
4. St. Ives Fresh Skin Apricot Scrub – I love St. Ives. I still periodically use products from them. When I was on a strict student budget, I used St. Ives with my other fav, Nivea. I prefer the St Ives Green Tea Scrub to this one, however. All of that said, this is actually not a good product to use on your face. The jagged sides of the pit pieces can actually scratch your skin and create tears for bacteria to grow. GROSS! So why did I love this scrub? For my body!!! My hands, feet, elbows, legs!
5. Evelyn Iona Cosmetics Concealer – The product itself looks amazing, organic and natural, love! However, I received this product in the shade Flawless, and that is a Medium Ivory shade. NOT my color. Ipsy, I’m a natural blonde, meaning I’m extremely fair skinned. I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt with this product, as it is the first WTF moment I have had with you. But seriously, a Medium Ivory shade … really? Regardless of my bitching, I plan to use this as an eyeshadow base. The formula itself is glorious and I think a little repurposing will do wonders for this little beauty.
6. Elizabeth Mott All Over Shadow Brush – I love brushes. And I love pink. Sounds like a match made in heaven. Ipsters who had received this in their January bag, had great things to say about it. I cashed in some points to have this added to my bag. It’s the perfect all over shadow brush. Great for travel or daily use. The bristles are super soft but the brush itself is super dense (which I love the most in a brush).
7. Urban Decay Perversion Mascara – I already love this mascara so I jumped on the opportunity to add this to my bag. It is volumizing and lengthing, while being SUPER buildable. You can apply additional coats anytime, even six, eight, ten hours after the initial application. This makes going from a fresh daytime makeup to a sexy sultry night look, beyond easy.
Welcome to the Boobs&Blonde family, Birchbox!! This company has great marketing, they really do. They suckered me (and 5 of my friends) into signing up because they were (ARE … Click Here if you’re confused) offering a FULL SIZE Beauty Blender and cleansing Solid, with every March box!! How can any self respecting makeup whore, makeup junkie, possibly say “NO” to that?
Birchbox is $10 CAD a month, with $5 CAD shipping. Since the subscription is in Canadian dollars, exchange rate does not affect the price, YAY!! You can expect the same bill, every month. I wish Ipsy would pick this up, I know they have already lost a few customers after our dollar decided to go muff diving.
Birchbox will send 5 personalized beauty products, right to your door, in a tiny brown logo box. I actually was expecting the box to be bigger than it was, but maybe I always expect things to be larger than they actually are … haha, wink wink. This is my first month with them, but it seems that they send an even mix of beauty products in all categories (hair, makeup, skin care, fragrance, etc.). Included, is a card with product descriptions and price. I love this feature, it allows you to know the exact value of the contents, as well as providing helpful direction about where to purchase what you end up loving. Birchbox also awards points for reviews and referrals. Instead of redeeming points for products, like Ipsy does, Birchbox credits every 100 points to $10 that you can use in their shop (typically full size items of the monthly offered products). The featured items (all items offered that specific month) ship for FREE. This is a great way to buy full size items of your favorite products.
1. ModelCo Party Proof Lipstick – I LOVE this lipstick! I saw from a quick creep peek on Instagram that some people had received this lippie in light/nude shades. So not my thing. Kudos to Birchbox for sending gold with a bright shade. I received the shade “Peony” which is described as a hot pink. I personally find it is a vibrant red pink shade. The formula itself is moisturizing and creamy. Application is smooth and even, with no issues of bleeding or creasing. This little tube packs a punch and will for sure last the night, but the degree of “Party Proof” will depend on your degree of partying.
2. Beautyblender + mini Solid Blendercleanser – The one Holy Grail product that made me jump on signing up for Birchbox! This duo is the perfect way be introduced to the world of BB. These little pink sponges retail for $26 CAD, not including the Solid. That makes this Birchbox an amazing deal, even without the other four products!! This sponge is just as good as you have heard it is. Using the sponge wet, is the only way to do it! Your makeup will be applied flawlessly. It isn’t just a miracle worker at applying makeup like Foundation, BB Cream, Concealer etc. it also applies cream blush like a dream, and blends contour like a fantasy. Ya. Miracle, Dream, Fantasy. It doesn’t get much better than that. I think I might have to pick up the Micro version at the big VIB event this weekend … maybe.
3. Number 4™ Hydrating Shampoo – A $82 CAD shampoo?! Really? This stuff must be amazing. Result? Not so stunning. This shampoo is nice, but it had nothing on my Living Proof or Bumble & Bumble products. I also didn’t care for the smell. I like fruit and fresh scents. This reminded me of the smell of an old lady’s house. Not young, sexy, fresh, or fruity. I like the bottle it came in and will definitely be refilling it with my favorite shampoos for travelling, once it’s used up.
4. Embryolisse Lait-Crème Concentré (24-Hour Miracle Cream) – Such a tiny sample, but you don’t need much. This cream has minimal scent (yay!) and is very moisturizing. The cream is rich, without being heavy. It can be used anywhere on the body, including the face. It can also be used as a makeup remover and is safe to apply on freshly shaved skin. Such a great versatile mini that makes a great travel essential!!
5. Harvey Prince Imperial Gardenia – I hate getting fragrance samples. Obviously, it’s going to happen from time to time, the point of subscription boxes is to try new things! But I instantly get disappointed when I see them. Luckily, this is the first one I have received in a box (across all companies) and it also appears that almost everyone got one. I’m soooo not complaining, how could I when I am still on my BB high?? The scent itself is floral (yuck), I like fruity!! The Harvey Prince Ageless (pink grapefruit scent) would have been more my style.
I’ll be honest. I was planning on signing up for Birchbox, getting the Beauty Blender, and then unsubscribing. But they won my heart. Especially with the full size lipstick, they found my weakness. I’m hooked. Shit. Click Here if you want to be hooked too. #peerpressure
Topbox. My Canadian indulgence. I love that Topbox is a CANADIAN company. I have to give love to a Canuck company catering to beauty. They are the cheapest beauty subscription company for Canadians, but they send the highest quality items, in terms of brands, compared to my other subscription services.
At only $12 CAD a month, Topbox is a phenomenal value. And the box ships for FREE. Yes, free!! That’s a big deal for us Canadians, rarely anything ships free. They send 4-5 personalized beauty samples, often leading towards 4 (unless the samples are tiny). Instead of a box or makeup bag, Topbox ships in a unique tube (or organza bag if you prefer). Topbox includes a descriptor card, like Birchbox, detailing the description, price and where to buy info for each product.
Unique to Topbox, is the ability to wish and opt for a Prive Box. Topbox explains:
A Prive Topbox is a box of samples from only one brand. Each month you will be emailed a Wish List so you can “wish” for the boxes you are interested in. Due to limited quantities no member is guaranteed a Prive Topbox. If you do not get the Prive Topox you will be sent the regular Topbox.
I love the option to swap the boxes!! The wishlist will have specifics about what is contained in each box so you know exactly what to expect. Prive boxes could have only one item in them, instead of the typical 4-5 samples in the regular Topbox.
1. Medusa Makeup Lipgloss – My first impressions of this gloss were not great. I received the shade “Sparkle Mania” and that basically describes my thoughts when I looked at the tube, that or devastated chaos. The product was full size (always a bonus) and the packaging was super adorable. The company is all natural, vegan, paraben free, and cruelty free (another bonus). So why the bad first impression? It basically reminded me of kiddie or dollar store lipgloss, clear and extremely (EXTREMELY) glittery. Other subscribers had received shades with color (red, pink etc.) and I felt those might have been better. But I’m a bitch. We already know this. And apparently I’m a judgmental bitch. Because the lipgloss is great! A second look showed that it was indeed very sparkley, but it was not chunky glitter as I had initially thought, it had fine tiny bits of gold flecks in it. I opened the tube and the formula glided across my lips. It wasn’t runny (as my dollar store judgements had led me to believe) but it wasn’t sticky either. It was smooth and created the perfect amount of sheer perfection. The gloss looked stunning alone. The shimmer became less obvious once applied and instead created a mesmerizing, dewy, supple pout. I haven’t tried this over lipstick YET, but I think this little beauty my be my new favorite “topper”.
2. Philosophy Hope In A Jar – This moisturizer is a cult favorite. I have tried this moisturizer before, but am more than happy to have another mini to add to my stash. This is a pretty small sample, but that makes it perfect for travel, carry on, the purse, or the gym bag. This moisturizer does what it is supposed to and leaves my skin feeling smooth, hydrated, and soft. I’m still not convinced that I should switch from Biotherm to Philosophy, but I will gladly incorporate what samples I have into my travel routine (someone need to tell Biotherm that they need to make travel friendly, non glass minis for me to buy!).
3. Schwarzkopf BC Moisture Kick Beauty Balm – I love getting hair samples like this. The tube is a very generous size, allowing you to use it many times, and really get a good idea if you like the product or not. I used a small amount as directed but it still made my hair greasy. It is common for me to have this issue the first time using a new hair product as I have naturally very fine, thin hair. It takes trial and error for me to find the perfect amount of product to use in my hair without making to greasy. My hair did appear to be smoother and didn’t dry out once I started styling it with my curling iron. I’m hoping my next trial goes better and a smaller amount will help my hair be less greasy and therefore more voluminous. I really hate when my hair is flat and weighed down by product.
4. Jurlique Rosewater Balancing Mist – I’m elated to receive this product!! And it even comes in a mini glass spray bottle. The mist is supposed to restore, tone, and hydrate the skin in one spritz. This is what I refer to as a “princess product”. It’s not an essential and it’s expensive but it is beyond luxurious. I love the feeling that this product leaves on my skin. I DO feel refreshed. I DO feel hydrated. I like to spritz this in the morning before applying my makeup or even in the late afternoon between appointments and grabbing a cocktail with friends (over top of my makeup). I see this becoming a travel essential!! Not because of the size but because of it’s usage. I can imagine this being AH-MAZE-ING on tired, dehydrated “airplane” skin or to spritz after a long road trip being stuck in the car. I will definitely be buying this product once I’m done the mini!
I love Topbox. I love them for being Canadian, I love them for being so affordable (yet high end), and I love them for providing free shipping!! Click Here to see what I got last month. If you are interested in signing up (Canadians only) let me know and I can send you an email referral!!
The baddest battle of the boxes!! And they all won. Because I’m a makeup whore who loves products of all shapes and sizes, I don’t discriminate. I couldn’t possibly pick only one poison. Which one do you like best? What are you subscribed too?! Tell me! I always like to feed my addiction. ♡